Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 78 - Ah, cruel, frigid Universe!

Get this. So, tonight is going to be the coldest night of the season thus far. Deep, hard freeze. Low of 24, ice crystals are already forming in the grass. About a half hour ago, I was sitting in my living room, toasty and cozy in front of my gas heater. It sputters, softly at first then more loudly, and poof, it goes out. That's ok, I had the back up tank filled up last time this happened. I'm a responsible human being. I go to switch the tank, only to find both of them open. Huh. Okay, but I still flip the switch to the tank input and cross my fingers.

I hit the button to light the pilot light, it lights a weak little flame that isn't sufficient to even start the heater. So, I go back outside, flip the switch. Come back in. Same deal. A sad excuse for a pilot light and no heat. Apparently, I have two empty tanks of gas. Where is the back-up tank I ordered in 2009? I suspect the folks that came to change the tanks last time replaced the full tank with a full tank and left me the empty. I see no other explanation and am wondering how I'm going to prove this to the gas company, seeing as all this went down 18 months ago.

I'm now sitting in my living room with a chilly nose, frozen fingers and aching toes, wondering why God's sense of humor is so cruel. Really, God, REALLY?!?

Don't worry, I won't die, I have space heaters and an electric blanket. They'll suffice until I get my fabulously efficient gas heater back, but they just aren't the same. :(

I can't help wondering if this is some sort of test. I've spent the day in a great mood. I was productive this weekend; I came home to a clean house; things were calm. Then, poof! No heat. The Universe knows, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. The only consistent rule in the universe is: all things tend towards entropy. So, in a sense, your lack of gas is merely a sort of time travel; you have moved down the probability slope just a wee bit closer to some event horizon where all the gas molecules have spread themselves evenly across the entire volume of space.
    Think of it that way, it's kinda cool, actually.

    ReplyDelete