Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 87 - Ballet


That's my ballet teacher in that picture, Carla. Beautiful, yes? Ballet is all over the place right now. It's nutcracker season; Black Swan is in theaters; and a new book on ballet, Apollo's Angels, is getting rave reviews, so I thought I'd share this NPR article with you, The Tutu's Tale. Quick, easy read. I love that ballet is getting so much respect, because until I started to train, I never understood the accomplishments of professional ballerinas. I will continue to train in the basics while I'm in Africa, but I'll miss my formal class. Even though I'm still the most novice in class, everyone really tries to help me understand. They're patient with me, and I think I've at least earned their respect by sticking with it.

1 comment:

  1. If she just angles the blade of her foot forwards instead of her toes, and keeps her guard up, she's got a wikked flying side kick!
    Mine look EXACTLY like that...'cept my tutu is jet black, with little embroidered ninjas on it.

    ReplyDelete