Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 47 - New shoes!

So, when I was doing PCP, I rewarded myself with some halfway presents. On a whim, I decided to reward myself this go 'round....with some new shoes. I've really been wanting some flavor of barefoot shoe to use when I'm working out in my carport, usually on pull-up days, but I don't want to drop $80 or more on a pair of shoes. That's when I stumbled across barefoot women's sports sneakers in PINK. Boo-yah! No, seriously, when I saw these, I felt like the planets had aligned or something. They're cute, got good reviews and the only pair they had my size in was pink. That and they're only $29.95.

While I was at it and since shipping is so damn cheap, I threw in a pair of cotton sole kung fu shoes. Only $9.95, you say? Ok, sure, what the hell? It's finally starting to get chilly in Florida, barefoot isn't so comfortable in my house anymore. I can use these for workouts and as house slippers. WIN!

I'm looking forward to incorporating this new stretch (which I've actually done on my own a few times because it hurts so damn good). Though, did you really have to throw it in on the night that it will dip into the 30's? Tomorrow's outside portion of my workout is going to SUCK. I'm trying to be zen about the whole cold situation. Cold, tense muscles are easy to injure, so to try and reduce the possibility of injury, I'm doing my best to accept the cold and flow with it. Relax and accept, instead of tense up and reject.

It's difficult for me, though. Being skinny is great for Florida summer, but when it starts to get this cold, I wish I had a little more insulation on my body (perhaps why I'm craving so much milk?). Last year in January, we had 2 straight weeks where it dipped into the 20's at night. My house stayed in the 50's for 2 weeks and that was WITH intermittent heat. I could see my breath in my kitchen. I only heat 3 rooms. My bedroom, my living room and my office, and only when I'm using them. This winter I'm going to attempt to be even more hardcore about it. How cold can it get in my house before I give in and use some climate control? We shall see. Tonight will be a test. Actually, I was considering pulling out the heated blanket and giving it a whirl. Perhaps a bit more efficient than space heating my bedroom? Thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. Nice shoes! I'm all about being hardcore and waiting till the bitter end to turn on the heat. But once I crack it's all over and I'm turning it on constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try sleeping with small children -- the ultimate warmth solution! They are so warm and snuggly, I simply cannot drag myself outta bed.
    Now that it's getting cold, we have made an executive decision to basically skip using the central heating (too dry) and bought a couple more electric oil radiator heaters. The nice Electrolux jobbies have digital timers and towel racks (warming up the pajamas SO motivates the kids to get changed!), and they don't dry out the air; it's a nice, deep warmth that just radiates slowly out, and lingers even after turning the heat down or off.
    Plus, the kids learn real fast what "don't touch, HOT!" means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with heaters like that, Ren - great stuff.

    ReplyDelete