Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 67 - Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm in Atlanta, visiting the family, doing my best to eat correctly and keep up with my workouts. Workouts so far, so good. Eating, well, let's just say I have a beautiful whitehead displaying my Thanksgiving downfall to the entire world. I ate a gigantic salad with raw veggies last night for dinner with a bit of pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on the side. I craved the salad and could not finish my pork dish. Today, I have Thanksgiving at my Mom's house. It never, ever ends. I just have to do my best and suffer the consequences. ~sigh~

Last night, my brother told me I'd never be able to defend myself with Kung Fu. This in response to my thoughts that if I were to stay in Gainesville I would join the local dojo and study with a dude that teaches Kung Fu there. Desmond Jackson's his name. I've been told by friends familiar with the dojo that he's badass. Anyway, I wasn't really sure how to respond to my brother other than to say, ummmm...ok. What does that even have to do with my desire to want to continue studying what I've started learning the basics in over the past couple months? I've never even considered the program a self-defense program, but if it did indeed help me defend myself, it'd be a nice side effect. Ah, family.

My mental state seems to have balanced out. I'm finally starting to absorb my imminent departure from the States and am able to focus on what needs to be done piece by piece. Everything will be better than fine if I just keep myself grounded, focused and sober.

3 comments:

  1. I've had people tell me that my wish to pursue Kung Fu is for naught and that I'm better off spending my efforts else where. Whether I am seeking to make my body a weapon or not doesn't change the fact that in practicing Kung fu, or simply participating in this program would increase my chances of survival in a fight. People like to relay things they hear and believe they know what they are talking about. If your brother was an expert of all martial arts and he said that I would still be confused as to how you would not be able to defend yourself when there are people who defend themselves daily with no training... and yet here we are becoming stronger and more agile... alas I do not understand,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, did he also tell you that ballet is a waste of time because no one actually leaps and pirouettes down the street?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I study a 350 year old style of iai, so if any roving samurai challenge me to a traditional duel, I might be able to hold my own...or if I mugger attempts something when I happening to be wearing my sword, I may be useful. So yeah, it's all about the PRACTICAL, self-defense aspect that makes it important.

    ReplyDelete