Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 55 - Junk Food

This evening, I passed the McDonald's where I bought a portion of PCP Indulgence #2 and took the moment to reflect on my eating patterns over the last 6 months. Yes, people, that's right, it's been 6 months since I started the PCP/KFB journey.

Here's what I realized. I've only eaten fast food twice in those 6 months. TWICE! I used to eat fast food at least once weekly. Mostly, McDonald's McGriddles or cheeseburgers to sooth a horrific hangover from the night before's party binge. On that note, hangovers are a thing of the past, though I still remember their pain acutely. Other accomplishments, I haven't eaten a Cheez-it, Dorito or Cheeto for 6 months. NOT ONE! Not even a nibble of one. I've had small amounts of tortilla chips, kettle chips and a few SunChips. I mean, this is a revolutionary change in me. I used to keep that junk on hand and snack on it constantly. I could down a half a box of Cheez-its in one sitting, especially if stoned.

The crazy thing, I don't miss it. Not one bit. I only want the junk if it's in my face. Once in a while, I resent having to cook and clean up constantly, but when I think about it, I enjoy cooking, especially when it's leisurely cooking. I'm a good cook. I love my own food. Why pay someone else to cook for me?

Right now, I have a chicken roasting in the oven. Not sure yet what I want to do with the meat, but the carcass will be boiled for stock to make a winter minestrone, a recipe that came with my last CSA newsletter. For dinner tonight, I'm eating tofu marinated and cooked in a light garlic, ginger peanut sauce. It's got a bit of a kick from some dried peppers and will go well with various steamed & roasted veggies through the beginning of the week.

I eat freakin' GOOD, and as a result, when I do eat poorly, my body bounces back quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, people still in the junk matrix will have no idea what you mean by being happy to not eat that stuff anymore. But we all know exactly what you're saying. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete