Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 1- I AM Yoshimi!

One of my bestest friends pointed out that, now, I'm like a real life Yoshimi. Almost cooler than being a flamingo peacock. It's like I'm up there on the blog banner preparing to battle some pink robots. Bring it, pink robots! I've been takin' my vitamins (in the form of fresh vegetables and fruits, of course).

I don't know if y'all have this problem, but as I go through my day, I'm overwhelmed by all the things that happen and find myself wanting to share, share, share. I, also, like my posts to have a theme. It's quite a task to distill a theme from all my random thoughts from the day and then throw them up on the blog in a way that makes any sense. SO MUCH TO SHARE will be today's theme!

Like this little tidbit that I heard while catching up on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me this afternoon. Apparently, the Army was forced to "dumb down" its basic training to deal with overweight, unfit recruits. Less sit-ups, push-ups and long runs. More other stuff. The other stuff is not necessarily bad; I just find it sad that the youngest people in our population are too out of shape to handle basic training. The original article was published in the NYT last month.

I thoroughly enjoyed this morning's workout. No kidding. It was great. I wanted to keep punching and kicking. I'd get to the max reps and go over without even knowing I was going over. I'm also doing the sit-ups with my legs up in the air now. The prescribed amounts of reps are perfect to get me to failure by the last set. Stretching felt good. Overall, good first day. I'm at a distinct advantage doing this coming right off the PCP. I've become so used to my new body that I forget how damn good o' shape I'm in. Don't get me wrong. There's SERIOUS fine tuning to do...my 3rd ballet class tonight was enough to tell me that I've got some work ahead of me. The advantage that I have over the other more knowledgeable students in class is my condition. My body learns fast; it adapts; and it's strong enough to take a beating. My legs are rock solid after class. I love it.

My project this week, besides taking my benchmarks, is setting up a meditation room. My spare bedroom is all junked up right now with shit that I need to take to goodwill. This week is the week. Then, I'll get some incense, download this free IPOD meditation timer and watch my mind race around the way this blog post is racing around. Meditation is HARD. The time flew by, but I suspect it's because my mind was flying in a million different directions at once.

5 comments:

  1. O Captain my Captain! Nice coming right off PCP; didn't have the months since end of PCP to get all fat and lazy like me.
    A word re. the meditation space, though: don't get too caught up in it. It's all in your head. So just get a good zafu (sittin' pillow) and pick a blank space of wall. The stuff cluttering all around you is WAY less important than the stuff cluttering your mind.

    Full disclosure: I am an 'ordained' layman monk (different sect than Patrick though...in fact first met Patrick years ago at a zen retreat) and I sit pretty much every day for 20 minutes or so. So I have some strong opinions about The Right Way To Do It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I meditated it seemed like a long time but I found myself relaxing so much that I almost fell asleep right after our workout. I was like NO, can't lose posture, Patrick will not be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not anger the Patrick, Robert!

    But really, even my out of shape ass is still in-shape compared to most people, and is having an easy time with this. I've found myself accidentally going over with reps as well.

    I heard about that US Army story a short while ago. America sucks at the human body... or really, doing anything right for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have sessions where time flies by, and others where it creeps. The mind is a fickle thing. Keep watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh, get that room cleared out! It's so wonderful that you have space for a meditation room! Here in NYC i have a meditation corner, between the gross radiator and my bed, which also has a bookshelf and a lamp in it. Space is a luxury, enjoy it and i hope it helps you connect in your mental space!!

    ReplyDelete