Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 4 - Real World vs. Dream World

Ah, a nice, brisk 4-mile run this evening. I no longer feel loserish. My emotions have been running high the last couple of days. It happens. Cycles and such.

Tonight, I think I'll revisit the idea that I was bouncing around in my head yesterday. So, Tuesday night, I pulled into my carport and looked to my right at a pile of wood that serves as a stage when I have parties. Over the last couple years, there's been a lot of activity on that stage. Some DJing, some karaoke, a couple live bands and this:


On this particular night, the above image is what appeared in my mind. Yes, that IS a gigantic redwood cake, in case you were wondering. A group effort, constructed by all of us as a gift to the lady in the black mask. Here's an up close of the adorable animals surrounding the base.


ANYWAY, I sat in my car and thought about this moment. Where did it go? It was here, now it's gone. Was it real? Where do all these moments go? Nowhere. They're just poof, gone, never to return. It's not like I've never thought about this concept before, it's just that tonight it was blowing my mind in a bigger way. There is quite literally nothing to hold on to. Every memory is like a dream of a past life. Did I really live that moment? I know I did, but when I was remembering this scene, the line between the real world and the dream world became very blurred to me for a short time.

This is especially so because I'd had some intense, vivid dreams the night before...those dreams where one wake's up in the morning and carries around an emotional hangover that only slowly fades as the day progresses. They just affected me that deeply. Did I not actually live those moments? It sure fucking felt like I did.

I'll leave it there. I don't know where the moments go or what is really a dream and what isn't, but I do know that we know very little of the truth of this universe and it gives me goosebumps every time I think about it.

3 comments:

  1. Cool story. AWESOME CAKE. That moment was an experience which contributed to building you. "You" is what you hold on to. Your experiences, or memories, are just the building blocks of that.

    Well, that's one way to look at it at least.

    Wish I could go for a run. Do you listen to music when running? I enjoy recalling past events or planning things to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends. Sometimes I listen to music, last night I did and it was great. Sometimes I just like to keep all my senses open and listen to the world that I'm running past...especially so when I'm running a trail. Never know what kind of wildlife is out there; I like to be alert for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole opening your senses and being alert thing... well that's how I always want to be. I can't stand the idea of either autopilot or going through the motions. Whether I'm doing something I don't want to do or something that isn't enjoyable it doesn't matter, I want to experience it as a whole. Regardless of positive or negative the feelings that come from it are simply a stimulus that goes to my brain. I choose to take it positively or negatively. If I had a shark bite my arm there would be a lot of sensations going through my mind. If I had no feeling in my arm I would probably be able to keep myself together and attempt to drive it off. The point is that we experience things and our bodies react. We can however make the choice to listen or not and to react in a way that we see fit. This is why I want to there at all times for everything I experience and still have the capability to do what I really want rather than cower in fear.

    ReplyDelete