Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 10B - Too many parts

Really, Patrick, you want to hear our words of wisdom? You ask and you shall receive.

Okay, well, today I would like to talk about the difficulty of paying attention to multiple body parts at once. Hence the title, TOO MANY PARTS moving at once. This applies both to my humiliatingly fun ballet class tonight and the agility movements for KFB.

Let's start with ballet. I'm getting better with the basics. This is good, but she's throwing in all kinds of crazy new stuff quickly. We did some crossing of the floor exercises tonight. Jump, right leg points back, comes forward, jump, left leg comes up next to right, points, start over. Ok, I know, you can't even picture it. There's french words for all these positions that I just don't have any real grasp of yet. The point is, it's hard enough to jump across the floor putting my legs in the correct position in time with the music without arms, but add the arms in, I'm like a deer in headlights. I pay attention to the position of my arms, my legs are flailing and vice versa. Trying to be aware of all the body parts and where they are at the same time. Holy moly! I comfort myself by looking in the mirror and knowing that I look awesome when I'm standing still. Ha!

This also applies to the agility exercises in KFB. I find when I'm really focusing on trying to get the legs right, the arms aren't positioned correctly. Or, I'll punch and realize that my guard arm is not anywhere close to my face. I thought I did better this morning, but still, I feel like everything's all everywhere all the time. Nothing is in the right place! I know, I know, practice makes perfect. As I practice, things will stay in place or go where they're supposed to naturally, but to get to that point, I have to be EXTRA mindful that I'm practicing correctly so I don't learn wrong. It's hard, frustrating and hilarious all the same time.

You know what, though? I'm really, really enjoying myself. I enjoy the hard work and then the sense of accomplishment when I reach a goal, hold a pose correctly or see myself do something in the mirror that actually looks graceful. Ballet, working out, I love it all! I feel like I've found these things in my life that I can't believe I did without before...

Also, I'd like y'all to meet my new buddy...it's got a leather, adjustable cord with smooth, fast jumping action. I love, love, love it! I won't even miss that old plastic one!


4 comments:

  1. Interesting handles I'd like to try that rope! You'll be doing things like they're second nature after a few thousand repetitions. Most people give up when they feel like they suck after just a few hundred reps of something. That feeling like you suck is actually part of the process and an important one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF you didn't feel like you suck, you'd never get better!
    One trick to keep your hands near your face: put your thumb on your check. Like, plant it there. If and when it moves off to do something (punch, grab, balance, whatever) that's cool, just put it back.
    This is also good for when you're tired and just can't hold your arms up anymore; stick thumbs to cheek. They will magically, magnetically stick there. Swear it, totally works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh. jetés across the room! think i have an idea of what you are doing. do you kinda beat the legs together in the air when they meet?
    i bet it was at the end of the class as well. i always thought it was exceptionally cruel to put jumps at the end of ballet class. but that is the way. im sure there is some zen meaning in it somewhere.....makes you a better person.
    sounds quite advanced stuff. stick with it. before you know it, you will be flying acros the room.
    and i was always told in ballet, even if your body cant keep up just SMILE. you never see a ballet dancer grimacing. the smile will distract from your feet as well. :)
    there was a girl i learnt with all through ballet school, we were each others competition. i was always told that i was "technically" better, but she always scored higher marks than me in exams. why? cos she grinned from ear to ear PERMANENTLY. it was kinda freaky really. but i took it all too seriously. one of those serious little girls ha ha.
    deep breath out......relax....flyyyyyyyyy....

    ReplyDelete