Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 16 - Zapped

Ever tried to teach Mendelian genetics and modes of inheritance to a roomful of 18-21 year olds? No? I don't recommend it. Every time I teach this lab, it's the same. Students just have a hard time grasping how genetic traits sort out in different ways. I always work double time in this lab, even triple time. Students are just sucking at my brain, every one of them. I've explained independent assortment, autosomal linkage and sex linkage to almost 40 individual students today. I feel like I've been run over with a train. Seriously. I'm always amazed at my complete and total physical exhaustion after a mentally taxing day. Other than teaching, it was a chill day for me, but I'm more zapped right now than I ever am on a normal "busy" day.

Anyway, looking forward to applying energy transfer to tomorrow morning's workout. Also looking forward to seeing Momix - Botanica tomorrow night. I've got a 5th row center orchestra seat. Exciting!

4 comments:

  1. I had to look up 'autosomal linkage' just to see what field you were talking about. Can you use your knowledge of genetics to breed a super-PCP-KFB warrior who loves steamed veggies, shuns carbs, can jump rope 1000 times a minute and absolutely can't get enough v-sits and tricep dips?
    I thought I get pooped spending a day banging my head against various walls erected by The Entrenched Interests at work, but teaching really tires the brain, eh. Well done, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...my expertise only goes as far as being able to explain the concept to undergrads, but I DO know people that work with genetic modification of plants, perhaps they'd like to team up with me and make it happen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you guys ever heard or or seen the movie SPLICE? I watched it last night and its about this company trying to produce a creature that has some sort of abundance of a specific protien... well shit doesn't go down well and they kinda get drastic and end up splicing a bunch of shit together with human DNA :P

    ReplyDelete