Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 29 - Core

Over the last week or so, I've noticed an amazing amount of strength in my core. My core was strong at the end of PCP, but it's getting stronger at a fast pace. I've been hyper-conscious of how vital my core is to every exercise we do in this program. I've especially noticed it in the pull-ups, how my core tightens as I lift myself. My back muscles have certainly grown stronger, but I think a lot of my added success in pull-ups comes from core strength as well. I'm at about 4 on my first set now. 1 on the second. My kung-fu sit-ups are much improved. I remember my first attempt at one a few months ago, laughable. I was lucky to get my legs at a 90 degree angle, now I can do about 6 or 7 pulling up to 120 degrees with miniscule swing. So, this is where I've really seen strength gains.

Target punches went okay. Not beautiful but not completely embarrassing. Targeted kicks. HA! What a joke! I do like the bob and weave aspect of dodging a teeny flying ball, but timing my kicks and getting the accuracy to hit the ball as it swings around...wow, we'll see how this goes into the future.

I've been treading lightly with my right leg. I pulled something on the inside that I can feel mostly in the straight kicks now. The shoulder is almost better, not 100% but better. I do what I can, and try to remind myself that we're only a month into this thing. 2 more months left? A lot is going to happen.

11 comments:

  1. Good. When you can bang out 10 perfect Kung Fu situps (with your toes swinging all the way up to the bar) let me know and I'll give you some variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh huh, okay, I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, I remember the tortuous fun of modified KF-sits!
    Don't be in too much of a hurry to get to that level of pain! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some inspiring stuff. I'm so much more in tune with my core on a daily basis from PCP. This awareness has changed how I experience my entire yoga practice. But I know there's more work to be done in strengthening it...hmmm, when does the next KFB start?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, this post has me thinking of when I'll want to do KFB... so cool about the sit-ups and the pull-ups and the superhero core you're developing over there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elena and Sarah -- want to join up with the next KFB together? I couldn't imagine it right after PCP, but it's sounding like fun now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, Jenny, KFB? You are making me feeling like a slacker! I need to kick the PCP maintenance workouts up a notch, I just may consider joining you all.

    At the very least, I need to pay better attention to what my PC--and PCP--buddies have been up to lately. Looking forward to following the action--and to cyberstalking Ren and Mikhael, as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara, Elena, Sarah, - I'm up for it if you are?!? X

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to hijack your post, jenny!! ya just gotta stop being so damn inspiring!

    so...does anyone know when the next KFB starts??

    ReplyDelete
  10. ackkk!!!! i can't take the peer (non)pressure. if y'all are gonna do it, i want in too.

    ReplyDelete