Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 23 - Sleep

Oddly, I feel as if I've been needing less sleep lately. I'd say I've been averaging 6ish hours per night. I'm almost (but not quite) wide awake at 5:30 AM and only get tired around 11 PM at night. I'm not overly tired during the day, though around 3 PM I usually get that I could take a nap feeling. In an ideal world, I would power nap every afternoon. Even without the power nap, I feel fairly well rested. After reading tonight's email, I'm now more convinced that it's partially the kung fu. I felt like I needed a lot more sleep during PCP. Am I crazy? Or, just getting used to less sleep? Perhaps it also has something to do with being completely sober?

Also, I've been thinking this and thought I ought to just say it. I love the workouts. LOVE them. PCP was the type of workout I forced myself through, this is truly, honestly fun for me. I wouldn't trade my PCP experience but these workouts combine all of my favorite things into one. Cardio, strength, martial arts and stretching, perfect. I've taken many kickboxing and yoga classes, but what I like about these workouts is their small manageable pieces. I get a little of everything I love every single day. Good stuff, y'all!

One last thing. I've got something going on in my right shoulder. It's been bothering me since last week. If I hold my right arm straight out with any weight in my hand, it feels like a pulling pain in my shoulder. It's not the whole shoulder either, it's just this one certain area when I hold my arm out in one certain way. Any ideas? I'm able to do the exercises, but the blocks this morning were a bit tricky.

3 comments:

  1. One of the muscle strands of your deltoids is strained. Do your best, it'll heal up in about a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislocated my shoulder in college - TWENTY YEARS AGO - and it still bothers me every now and then, only at random times, in random positions...a doctor once looked at the x-rays years after the injury healed badly and remarked: "Bet that hurt when you did it! Well, you screwed up by not seeing a doctor sooner, so now it's healed badly...dislocate it again and it's major surgery time. So...don't dislocate it again!"
    Therefore I wince sympathetically at your shoulder pain, but feel encouraged that, unlike me, yours will actually heal in a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... sleep. Tony Schwartz has a good book out called The Way We're Working Isn't Working. All about managing energy. And he's very pro and afternoon nap.

    ReplyDelete